Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Happy Anniversary! Caramel Apple Spice Cocktail



 





 


If your eyes were not the color of the moon,
of a day full of clay, and work, and fire,
if even held-in you did not move in agile grace like the air,
if you were not an amber week,

not the yellow moment
when autumn climbs up through the vines;
if you were not that bread the fragrant moon
kneads, sprinkling its flour across the sky,

oh, my dearest, I could not love you so!
But when I hold you I hold everything that is -
sand, time, the tree of the rain,

everything is alive so that I can be alive:
without moving I can see it all:
in your life I see everything that lives. 

Pablo Neruda




Today Jay and I are celebrating our second wedding anniversary, and to commemorate it I'll share the delicious autumny cocktail recipe my bridal ladies and I came up with for the reception. But first, I'll take this chance to go all mushy on you, and share a little insight into this marriage thing from our two years of wedded bliss and 8+ years together.

I think one of the most important things in a relationship is continuing to want what you have.  Appreciating the little things- which are really, when you think about it, big things, and remembering how much they matter. It might be easier for me to do this, because I'm one of the lucky few who married my high school sweetheart.  So all those wouldn't it be nice moments are part of our history, still fresh in my mind.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could be in a room alone together.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could see each other whenever we wanted.  Wouldn't it be nice if it didn't seem like we were always saying goodbye.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could pick out furniture and picture frames and cats.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could call each other husband and wife.

prom!
I keep all those old desperate desires close to my heart, and make sure I remember that every day we spend together now is so many wishes granted.  I wake up in the morning and see him, warm and solid and wonderful next to me, and remember how badly I used to want this.  And the thing is, I still do.  I want it so much, realizing I have it still almost comes as a shock sometimes.  He comes home, we have our kiss hello, start talking about something silly that happened that day, and a couple sentences in I'm removed from myself for a moment.  I'm looking at his smile and his skin and the empty tupperware from his lunch and thinking, this really gets to be mine now.  All the little things I love so much it makes me crazy - I get to have this whole amazing person every day forever.  We get to come to the same home and talk about tomorrow's dinner and go to bed.  How lucky can I be?

They say biologically after two years or so you lose romantic love, and blah blah blah.  I don't think that's something that ever has to go away.  Because marriage is awesome!  It's not boring, it's not the end of the line.  It's whatever you want it to be.  When "happily ever after" has already started, you're in uncharted fairytale.  Growing up and finding love is wonderful, but it can be kind of a predictable adventure.  When you've passed that last initiation you're starting a new adventure as a team, empowering each other to make choices and take chances and create the life you want to share.  And the best surprise is that it gets better every day, that you love what you have more than everything you want for the future.

Wedding pics by Tami Melissa Photography!

So cheers to my amazing husband who makes me so happy every day just by being himself.  (He doesn't like this girly drink, but that's ok, I can have two... maybe.)


Caramel Apple Spice Cocktail:

1/2 shot Buttershots
1 shot Apple Pie Liqueur
Cream soda
Ginger ale
cinnamon stick stirrer

Add the liquors to a tall glass, then fill half with cream soda and half with ginger ale.   You can change the proportion of soda depending on how sweet you like it, and of course add more buttershots or apple pie liqueur if that's your thing (since this drink was designed for my consumption it's very light on the booze.)  It's also good with a splash of Hot Damn (cinnamon schnapps.)


This is a great drink not just for weddings but all kinds of fall parties.  Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment