Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween! Pumpkin Cake with Chai Glaze



Well, the Frankenstorm has passed through and I feel very fortunate to say that after some scary building-shaking winds, we are all in one piece, the car was not flooded and we even still have power!  I spent the storm watching highlights of Doctor Who, starting with series 5, and just finished today (sob!) Nearby NYC is not in such good shape as we are across the river, and I haven't heard how severe the damage is in my hometown of Schoharie, NY, which was devastated by Irene last year.  I hope everyone who's been affected by the storm is staying safe and dry!


Since I'm lucky enough to have a fully functioning kitchen on this quiet Halloween at home, I decided to bake a pumpkin cake!  The icing component was troubling me, because the grocery store down the street only has partial power, and all the cold foods have been roped off and are sitting on the shelves, spoiling.  A really heartbreaking sight.  Without any cream cheese, or enough butter for a French buttercream, I decided to brew a fresh batch of masala chai and use some of that to make a glaze.  This cake, from The Novice Chef, looked moist and rich enough to not require a thick icing.

I'm by no means a beginner when it comes to baking.  I've got 10+ years of cakes under my belt, but I have to admit in all this time I've never found a butter cake recipe that I like.  Every one would always come out too dry!  For that reason I've primarily stuck to chocolate, because pretty much all white/yellow/vanilla cakes are butter cakes.  What convinced me to try this recipe was that it used a little oil as well as butter, that it had extra moisture from the pumpkin, that it baked at a lower temperature, and that the recipe specifies moving the cakes straight from the oven to the freezer to quickly stop the cooking process and retain the moisture.  Genius!

Oh, and I added some spices to the cake, because come on... whose blog do you think this is?

EDIT:  So a year has passed and I've had another fall to make this cake like 15 times, and I've settled on this variation: cut 1/2 cup sugar and double (yes double!) all the spices.  This isn't for the faint of heart but I like my tongue to tingle with cloviness after a bite of pumpkin spice.  The reduced sugar makes the cake balanced enough to pair with a sweet buttercream instead of just a glaze.  YUM.

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ginger

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
1/4 cup oil (I use safflower but vegetable works too)
1 cup milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease 3, 8-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
 
 *A note on greasing pans for cake: there are a few schools of thought on the best method for this.  Just greasing, or greasing and flouring, or greasing and lining, etc.  I find the last to be the best method.  I first grease the bottom and sides of the pan with butter (gotta get in there with butterfingers to spread it around if it's too melty already).  Then I cut a circle of parchment paper big enough to cover the bottom and part of the sides of the pan, press it in and re-grease.  For the most moist and delicate cakes, I find this is the best way to easily get them out in one piece.
 
In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.  In a large bowl/stand mixer, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla, pumpkin and oil.

(If at this stage your batter looks like a crazy, curdled mess, don't freak out!  I freaked out.  I actually set the bowl aside and started over (I was originally making a half recipe.)  I carefully made sure not to over-mix at any stage, and right as I gently stirred in the vanilla extract, the batter separated again.  So I went ahead and added the dry ingredients and milk, and magically, the batter solidified into something smooth and creamy and so good I wanted to eat it with a spoon.  And so I ended up with a whole 3-layer cake recipe.)


Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk.




Divide batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove pans from oven and immediately place in freezer for 45 minutes. This keeps the cake moist by immediately stopping the baking so the cake does not continue to bake when you remove it from the oven.














Chai glaze:

2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp brewed, strained and sweetened masala chai
about 1 cup powdered sugar
a pinch of cornstarch

I was rushing through this part and forgot to take a picture in my eagerness to eat the cake!

Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat, add masala chai and powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.  When mixture is thoroughly combined, add a pinch of cornstarch, sifting through a fine mesh strainer a little at a time and stirring constantly.  Let mixture bubble up, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.  Pour over each layer of cake and spread out with rubber spatula.  Store cake in the refrigerator.

This is the softest, pumpkiniest cake you could ever dream of!  Even my cake-hating husband ate a slice.  Next time I make it, I think I might even cut the sugar a bit because it's quite sweet, but otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.  The glaze is all the icing this cake needs, but it would also be fantastic with a cream cheese based icing.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Kitt aka Hippy Druid ChicOctober 31, 2012 at 5:04 PM

    /drools unabashedly

    ReplyDelete