Monday, October 22, 2012

Hot Artichoke Dip




This is another family recipe that I grew up feasting on whenever there was a party.  It is just as hard to walk away from now as it was when I was a kid!  What I love about this super-simple recipe is that unlike a lot of other artichoke dips, it doesn't disguise the flavor the main ingredient, but instead really enhances it and brings the artichoke to front and center.  I was extremely surprised to learn when my mom gave me the recipe for this dip that it includes a teaspoon of tabasco sauce.  Normally I don't like to be in the same room as an open bottle of the stuff, but it really does give this dip a certain something.



2 cans artichoke hearts, drained (not marinated)
2 cups grated parmesan cheese (get the good stuff! no powdered cheese!)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp regular tabasco sauce

When it comes to the mayo and sour cream, you can pretty much divide up the total 2 cups however you like.  I used about 1/3 cup mayo (because I was low on it and also because I feel kind of weird eating large quantities of it) and the rest sour cream.  If you want to cut some fat, you could easily sub the sour cream for Greek yogurt, etc.

And a note on the tabasco- while I am not at all a connoisseur of the stuff, my husband is (I bought him a gallon jug of his favorite flavor for his last birthday.)  That flavor, habanero, was the only kind we had on hand, and luckily he let me know it was spicier than the regular kind and I only added half a teaspoon, which was the perfect amount.  Just enough so that after you've had a few bites, you feel the slightest tingle.







Put artichokes in blender or food processor until finely chopped.  When my mom used to make this she would puree them- this time I actually diced them up by hand to leave it chunkier, but it's good both ways.  Place artichokes in a large bowl with remaining ingredients.  Stir until well mixed.  Put mixture into a baking dish or oven safe bowl.  Bake at 300 degrees for about 45 minutes.



This is great with crackers, chips or chunks of pumpernickel.  I'm thinking of spreading some on a sandwich too!




No comments:

Post a Comment